Home Photography Writing About

31.1.10

To Keep Writing...

All right, I'm starting another month of serious writing tomorrow. It's kind of an unhashed idea, and I'm going to let it lead me where it will. I really enjoyed participating in NaNoWriMo, and I think that process is the only way I can actually get a book through the first draft.

Usually through my writing process I stop and consider, and reread, and delete a lot of it. And I never get past 5,000 words. But with setting a goal of writing 50,000 words right out with no backspacing and no rereading, I am capable of producing that amount of work.

I'm still working on editing the first novel. But I want to keep writing, and an idea has been brewing in my brain. I'm a little worried that it's kind of childish. That seems to be one of my creative drawbacks. I'm always thinking what I write sounds like a children's book.

I have a lot of respect for writers who can portray a love story without making it sound stupid. My favorite of those authors right now is Kristin Cashore with Graceling and Fire. She can make a love story happen without making it feel foolish.

So wish me luck on my next (short) month of 50,000 words. I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

Cora Kemp said...

o YAY!!!!!!!!!!! Have no fear! Your Cheerleader is HERE!!!!!!!!! :-D.... or maybe you should have fear.... Hummmm.

M.M.E. said...

I don't think there's anything wrong with children's books. That's mostly what I write and I'm actually quite proud of my unusual imagination. Besides, some of the best authors write both adult and children's books. Good luck!