Home Photography Writing About

2.7.10

Freelance Editing

I posted my review of The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer (click on Bree Tanner). Let me know what you think. I still don't feel very confident reviewing books. I can't seem to get out in writing how the book really made me feel. Which brings me to my main blog topic today, I'm not really a writer. I enjoy writing, but I absolutely love editing.

I worked for a vanity publisher as an editor. I'm not proud of it but I did it. It was the only opportunity at the time, and it gave me the chance to edit. I didn't really understand what vanity publishing was, but as soon as I researched more and completely understood I quit. I don't want to condone that type of publishing; it is not ok to make the authors pay to have their book published. It lowers the standard of books out there. It just isn't fair to the authors.

So now I'm attempting to work as a freelance editor but sheesh is it hard! I can find a few jobs to apply for. Then I google them all to make sure they're not scams. That usually narrows it down to one or two because there are a lot of scams out there. Then I check up on who they are and what they do and whether they are truly hiring or just taking resumes. A lot of the time I'm not qualified, or they aren't hiring. Everyone wants a proofreader or editor who has three years experience. How do I get that experience without working? I've done some small projects for friends but those just don't count. It's a mess.

Anybody have any advice for me? I know it'll take hard work to get there, but I'm at a dead end. I don't know where to go from here. Should I just keep doing what I'm doing?

3 comments:

Juliette said...

Well, as a registered freelance editor here in Germany, I find most of my work through word of mouth. So while it might be hard, really try to get out there and meet people, especially university students.

I also find that specializing in a certain area is actually a GOOD thing. Most of my work is from medical research articles (where the bulk of my experience came from back in the US), but I do get work from other genres as well (word of mouth). I also do some corporate work for companies where friends work (word of mouth again).

Try to be as professional as possible. Freelance editors are selling intangible things, so everything about you needs to project experience, competence, and value, no matter what. Whip up some business cards and network at a public viewing tomorrow for the next Germany WM game! =)

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Would you consider going on as an unpaid intern? This is how many editors get their experience & their foot in the door. If so, email me & I can get you some mss. to look at.

Jessica Bell said...

Well, remember my post yesterday? If I get, and then accept one of those positions, I'll be in touch with you ;o) You get my drift? It would be for Education Publishers though, but great for you to get started!