Home Photography Writing About

12.11.11

Divergent by Veronica Roth - Book Review

Divergent by Veronica Roth is the story of a choice, of identity. It's dystopian fiction about Tris, a sixteen-year-old who has to make a choice of who she will be the rest of her life. She only has five choices. But by the end of the book she realizes that maybe being more than one thing is possible, and probable.

I could not put this one down. The characters are very real. One of my favorite parts is when Tris says she 'might' love Tobias. It felt like the truth, not some sappy love story where she's instantly in love with the cute boy.

I also loved that the story ends. I understand it's a trilogy, but that doesn't mean it isn't also a stand alone book. I absolutely loath books that leave an open ending because they want you to read the next one. Veronica managed to close this part of the story and intrigue me with a little more so I'm ready for the next book.



I had a little trouble imagining things within the world. Placement of people, the way a building or location looked, watching a fight scene and understanding the movements. I had to stop and reread some of those parts and some I just skimmed over and couldn't really imagine well.

Other than that, this book is fantastic, and I can't wait for the next one. I kind of hate Veronica Roth for how awesome she is!